Thursday, September 11, 2014

Meet Enid


Meet Enid. “In 1994 I was 14 years old and living in Rwanda during the genocide. One day some people came and told us that our village and entire family needed to go for a meeting. As we were approaching the meeting place my Mother asked me to stop and wait for my little sister. The next thing I remember was hearing gunshots and seeing every member of my family die. I ran far away and hid myself. Since that day I have not known a parents love. That night I saw some people escaping and joined them. I had nothing to eat or anyone to talk to but I followed those people to a river and then into Tanzania. In 1996 Tanzania told me I had to go back to Rwanda but there was no one and nothing to go back to Rwanda for. I heard there were some Rwandan refugees in Uganda in a place called Nakivale and made a plan to go there. I met my husband in 1999 and we have four children together. My husband is also an orphan from the genocide but he is a good man who loves and takes care of me. Whenever I hear people discussing the idea of going back to Rwanda I feel scared and don’t sleep. I would rather die in Nakivale than go back there. Tutapona's program has helped me so much. I used to think that I was the only one with problems. I’ve learnt there are many people with even bigger problems than I have. I feel calmer now. Before I was a person of jealousy. When I saw a people having a family, I’d feel bitterness as I am alone. Because of the training I have now realised that I also have children and a family. This village, they are also my people.“

No comments:

Post a Comment