Friday, April 4, 2014

Meet Mary.

“My name is Mary and I’m 50 years old. When I was 14 I got married and by 15 I’d produced my son. In my lifetime I’ve given birth to 12 children. There are now two left. One of my sons was abducted at the age of 12 to be a childsoldier. He was in captivity for 12 years. When I was told he had come back I felt so happy. He had married two women while he was in the bush and I had two grandchildren. He went on to become a lieutenant for the Ugandan military. About four years after his return I was told that he had taken his own life. I lost consciousness that day I was so shocked. Today I am a widow taking care of one of my grandchildren. I’ve often felt suicidal as there is no-one to talk to. The Tutapona trauma rehabilitation program I went through taught me that I shouldn't dwell on past experiences. As soon as I would hit my bed at night the tears would begin to fall. I’ve since been able to sleep without a tear. I no longer look at myself as someone with the most problems – the group counselling program showed me I am not the only one. I had just never heard theirs before. I was someone that was living in bitterness but this program has lightened my heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment